SummaryHere, we mix this vibrant cheese with cool cucumber and mint, briny olives, and garlic to fill smoky grilled eggplant slices. The fresh combination is sure to be a new go-to for outdoor entertaining.
Prep time: 15 Min
Cook time: 10 Min
Total time: 25 Min
Serving size: serves 4 -6
1 CUP GREEK-STYLE YOGURT (or instead use a fresh chevre)
2 LARGE GLOBE EGGPLANTS
FINE SEA SALT
3 TBSP EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, PLUS MORE FOR DRIZZLING
½ MEDIUM CUCUMBER
¼ CUP FINELY CHOPPED KALAMATA OLIVES
1 SMALL GARLIC CLOVE, MINCED
1 TBSP JULIENNED FRESH MINT
½ TSP ALEPPO OR OTHER SWEET, MILD CHILE POWDER, PLUS MORE FOR GARNISH
1. Line a fine-mesh sieve with two layers of cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Add the yogurt, cover loosely with the overhanging cheesecloth, and refrigerate until thickened, at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. You should end up with a heaping ½ cup/160 g of labneh. (If you want to make more labneh to have on hand for other uses, just start with more yogurt.)
2. Trim the ends of the eggplants and cut themlengthwise into slices ¼ in/6 cm thick. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a large baking sheet lined with paper towels. Season both sides generously with salt, and set aside for about 30 minutes to draw out some of the moisture. Blot the eggplant dry, then brush on both sides with the olive oil.
3. Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to high. Arrange the eggplant slices on the grate and grill until tender but not mushy, and deep, charred marks appear, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside to let cool completely.
4. Grate the cucumber on the largest holes of a box grater into a medium bowl. Add the labneh, olives, garlic, mint, ½ tsp salt, and chile powder and stir it all together to make the filling.
5. Spoon a heaping 1 Tbsp of the filling onto the narrow end of each slice of grilled eggplant. Roll the eggplant up into roulades, enclosing the filling snugly. Arrange the roulades, seam-side down, on a platter as you work. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a little more chile powder, and serve immediately.
For the beer lover in your life, check out Beer Bites. Click here