photograph by Paulette Tavormina
The delicious flavors of autumn all in one bowl
Ingredients (yields 4- 6 servings)
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
- 2 sweet apples, such as Crispins or Northern Spy (3/4 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, cut into 8 chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cups chicken stock or vegetable broth
- Grated nutmeg, for garnish
- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 40m
- Total Time: 50m
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut off and discard the very tough bottom of the cauliflower. Halve the cauliflower lengthwise; then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, including the central stalk. Transfer to a roasting pan along with the apples, onion, ginger, garlic and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the oil and toss to coat.
- Roast for 40 minutes, tossing the vegetables occasionally, until the cauliflower is lightly browned and the onion is tender.
- Working in batches, transfer some of the vegetable mixture and some of the broth to a blender (don’t fill more than half full for each batch). Puree until very smooth, about 3-4 minutes. As you work, transfer the puree to a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over low heat to reheat the puree. Add salt to taste. Serve garnished with a grating of nutmeg.