Potato soup rocks. Potato cheese soup rocks even harder. Potato cheese and beer soup…well, if you think about that combo too long, it might literally make you question why God invented any other foods. This is one of the easiest soups to make, and chances are you already have everything you need in your pantry. We, naturally, use our own Beekman 1802 Blaak cheese when it’s in season, but you can use any sharp cheddar. It pairs nicely with…what else?…more beer.
In large heavy soup pot, cook bacon pieces over medium high heat until very crisp, stirring often. (Approx 5-7 minutes.) Transfer bacon with slotted spoon to paper towel lined plate.
Drain off bacon fat, leaving 3 Tablespoons in pot. (For vegetarian version, just start with 3 Tablespoons butter melted in pot.)Add celery, carrot and onion to pot, cook in oil until very soft, stirring often. (Approx 5-7 minutes.) Add chicken broth, beer, vinegar, pepper and potatoes to pot. Bring contents to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook approx 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft.
Turn off heat. Add milk. Using an immersion blender, puree contents in pot. (Or puree in food processor and return to pot.) Add cheese, and stir by hand until cheese has melted into soup. If soup is too thick, add more milk or broth until at desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve topped with crumbled bacon pieces and chopped parsley.
Prep + Cooking time = 1 hour.
Beekman 1802 Potato, Beer & Blaak Cheese Soup
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped into 1 inch pieces. (For vegetarian version, substitute 3 Tablespoons butter.)
- 2 celery stalks finely sliced
- 1 large carrot finely sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth (For vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth.)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 bottle amber or dark beer (12-16 oz)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large baking potatoes (like russet), cut into one inch cubes. leave unpeeled.
- 2 cups milk
- salt to taste
- 2.5 Cups shredded Blaak Cheese (or sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 Cup fresh chopped flat parsley