Another fantastic seasonal recipe from the Beekman 1802 Heirloom Vegetable Cookbook (photograph by Paulette Tavormina)
Fresh, mint-flecked cream is an elegant final touch to this summery soup of yellow tomatoes, peppers, and squash. All the tastes of summer in one bowl!
Ingredients (yields 4 servings)
- 1 pound(s) yellow tomatoes, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into large chunks
- 1 small (4 ounces) yellow squash, cut into large chunks
- 2 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 cup(s) carrot juice
- 2 tablespoon(s) sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream
- Prep Time: 10m
- Total Time: 15m
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, bell pepper, squash, shallots, carrot juice, vinegar, and salt; purée until smooth. Transfer to a container and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small saucepan of boiling water, cook the mint leaves for 10 seconds to set the color. Drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze dry and finely chop. Transfer to a small bowl with sour cream and stir to combine.
- Serve soup in chilled bowls and top each with a dollop of minted sour cream.