Caramel sauce is one of those simple things you can make and use in multiple ways. It is excellent over cakes, ice cream, in chocolates, or cinnamon buns. While this recipe uses cow milk, it can also be made with goat milk and it is called Cajeta.
- 1 packed cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of half-and-half
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- Prep Time: 5m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Mix together the half-and-half, salt, butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Let it cook while whisking gently for 5 to 7 minutes. It will begin to thicken.
- At this point, add the vanilla and cook for another minute or so to thicken further.
- Turn off the heat, let it cool slightly and pour the sauce into a jar.
- Refrigerate until cold.
Visit the Mercantile