Our neighbor, Rose Marie Trapani, reinvented a recipe from Brent’s childhood. It’s perfect comfort food at any age.
Tater Tot Casserole
Prep Time: 15m
Cook Time: 40m
Total Time: 1hr
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 12 ounces 93% ground beef (may use other ground meat or substitute)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 8 sliced baby bella mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 10 3/4 oz. can of roasted garlic mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 40 tater tots (or more)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Spray a 9×9 casserole dish with olive oil spray. Sprinkle Panko crumbs to cover the bottom of the casserole dish. Set aside.
Spray a skillet with olive oil and cook onion and peppers a few minutes. Add ground beef and brown well. Season with salt, pepper and seasoning salt to taste.
Pour beef mixture in casserole dish.
Spray the skillet with more olive oil spray and cook the mushrooms until browned. Spread the mushrooms over the beef mixture.
Mix the soup, sour cream and milk together in a bowl. Pour the soup mixture over the top of the mushrooms. Arrange the tater tots to cover the soup mixture.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the tater tots and bake another 10 minutes or until bubbly.