Kidding has begun in earnest! (Is that sentence an oxymoron?)

We’ll be updating this page almost daily to record every single new birth at Beekman 1802 Farm this year. Kidding season lasts from February till May, with a few breaks in between for Farmer John to catch his breath.

For those who may not be familiar with how John expertly manages his herd, he selects two or three bucks to breed most of the 120+ does from September to November. Then the does get a nice winter maternity break when they can all relax and enjoy their pregnancy in the warm comfort of the barn, without being milked. Although this means we can’t produce our famous Blaak Cheese or other milk products during the winter months, this period of collective rest improves their health, (and John’s too!) as well as the quality of the milk.

Then, beginning in mid-February, all heck breaks loose. We expect over 200 kids this year. When the kids begin arriving, not only do they need to be bottle fed, but the mothers begin milking again as well. This is Farmer John’s busiest season. He also rises in the middle of the (short) night to check on any births in progress.

Of course we can’t keep all of the kids. Farmer John is selective in his choices, deciding which female kids to keep based on whose mothers produced the most milk the previous year (as well as other factors.) The males and remaining females get sold, generally to other farmers and those looking for pets. If you’re interested in purchasing a kid from Farmer John, send us an email at [email protected] and we’ll forward your message to him.

Enjoy the photos of this year’s kids! (You’ll notice that the names of the female kids all begin with the first initial of their mother’s name. That’s to help John keep track of lineage.)

by Josh and Brent

Reader Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Anita L.Niffenegger

I am sure Farmer John has a hard time saying goodbye to his “kids”. They are adorable! It is obvious they are all loved and well cared for.

Beverly

They are all so darn cute…makes me sort of want one, but then, well, you can’t really just have one…and that’s gotten me into trouble before…!

Marilyn kellie

What was the winning name for the last baby goat starting with letter A ? Love reading the stories and all the photos!!

JJJ

Please tell us what happened to Faintly..?! The most beautiful baby goat ever….

Jay Roberts

As a boy growing up in Oklahoma I raised many goats. One of my favorites was one that I hand raised after his mother died, his name was Sherman. He had a fondness for rose bushes and the Sunday newspaper, AS my dad was reading it!

Stephanie Birdsong

I wonder what happened to my question. I was just wondering if these sweet babies will be going to slaughter. Obviously, you don’t need all these babies, especially the males. So, I’m hoping since we’re all sharing how much we love them, that they’re not destined for slaughter, because that would be really sad. Tell me it ain’t so!

Dr. Brent

Hi, Stephanie. We actually answered this question live last night on the baby goat cam. So far this season all of the kids that Farmer John does not intend to keep for his own herd have been spoken for by other goat dairies that are growing their own milking herds

Judy

How many breeds are there, and what are they? Since the ears are different, I was assuming they were differing breeds. Where did Faintly end up?

Nancy M

Magnum looks like a handsome boy. All the kid cuteness is almost unbearable. Definitely falling in love with the Nubians. Especially the ones on the “kid” cam. They are fun to watch, I don’t know how Farmer John gets work done, I’d be watching the kids all day.

Sandra Reinert

Please c ome back to tv. I would really liv we to see you come back on Oprah’s OWN Channel. Please. Love everything about your show.

Linda Turner

Tyler must be a contender…looking serene and all knowing…and Topper is very dashing, looking like he’s all dressed up in a tweed suit…

Melody McSweeney

This is crazy – I REALLY do have to work today and here I am trying to figure out Josh’s favorite! Selma? Maxine?Topper?Jessie?Bloom OR Blossom?. . . then again, Mitch does seem to have the perfect legs for model walking. . .

sue tolbert

Magnum is a beauty. You won’t be carrying him around for long. sue t

Farmer John

Twins are most common. Triplets and quads happen because during breeding time if they are still producing a lot of milk they are being fed a protein rich diet it will cause them to drop more eggs to be fertilized.

Alvin

Thank you …. I hope the goat cam will show how the little ones react when they go outside for the first time

Cathy

What a wonderful experience you are in for Christine! Iam not in school but when I retire and become a ‘lady of leisure’ may I intern???? I would be free and I would bake you lots of goodies!!! ; ^)

Judy

The barn must be massive to handle all those animals, and I can’t even imagine the noise level. Glad it’s going well!

Alvin

Thanks for sharing ….. there seems to be a lot of multiple births ….. is this normal ……

Farmer John looks as if he gets attached to each and everyone of them !!!!

All the best and thanks for sharing

Wendy

An overload of cuteness! They are all so adorable. Did Faintly grow as big as the others? What has happened to Faintly?

Grace

Look at Doris’s kid Dusty. He looks like Martin Short! They are all so cute, it’s hard to pick a favorite!

Cathy Gallagher

Sammie is smiling! I love all your goats and I love you take such pride in all you do.

Linda

They are all so sweet! Is Fallon the Mummy of Faintly, Fred and Frank? Also, is it my imagination or are there more triplets and quads than ever! WOW! My favorites are Hyacinth and Hydranga…. and Topper… and Jessie… and… John, always John! You look quite awake in these photos, too!