When it comes to farm breakfasts, we’re not big on “cute.” “Hearty,” yes. “Fortifying,” sure. But “cute” isn’t usually a productive way to start a day’s worth of chores.
However, we’ll make an exception for things like Valentines Day, birthdays, and what are those things we always forget? Oh yeah, anniversaries. These “Red Hot Lovin’” Cinnamon Rolls aren’t just melt-in-your-mouth, make-you-forget-Cin-a-Bon-ever-existed perfection. There’s also pretty darn cute, thanks to the addition of Red Hot candies that replace some of the cinnamon.
SummaryThese Red Hot Cinnamon Rolls use Red Hot candies in place of some of the cinnamon.
Prep time: 1 Hour
Cook time: 45 Min
Total time: 2 Hours 45 Min
Nutrition:Serving size: 1
(Adapted from our Beekman 1802 Cajeta Rolls Recipe for marthastewart.com)
For the Dough
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for bowl
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
1/4 cup sugar
1 (1/4-ounce) envelope rapid-rise yeast
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup warm (115 to 125 degrees) milk
1 large egg
For the Filling
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for pan
1 cup brown sugar.
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup Red Hot candies
2/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional Red Hot candies for garnish
- Make the Dough: Butter a large bowl and set aside. Melt 4 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Add milk, butter and egg; mix on medium speed until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to prepared bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Make the Filling: Meanwhile, butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pour one-half of the butter mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, spreading to evenly coat. Sprinkle pecans, cinnamon and brown sugar evenly across bottom of pan. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 10-by-15-inch rectangle. Pour remaining butter filling onto dough and spread evenly to cover. Sprinkle white sugar on top of butter, followed by Red Hot candies. Starting with one of the short sides, roll up dough; slice crosswise into nine 1-inch-thick rounds. Place, cut side-down in prepared baking dish; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place until rolls are doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Transfer rolls to oven and bake until golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Make Glaze: While rolls are baking, whisk together confectioners sugar and salt in a small bowl. Add melted butter, milk and vanilla. Whisk vigorously until smooth.
- Remove rolls from oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. If desired, invert rolls onto a serving platter. Alternatively: serve individually from pan, spooning butter brown sugar mixture over top. Spread glaze mixture over top of warm individual rolls on plates, sprinkle with additional Red Hot candies.