Sometimes we have a salty, crunchy craving, but a satisfying snack doesn’t have to be unhealthy. Kale is the perfect snack for fall, winter and early spring since, if slightly protected, it continues to grow in the garden throughout the cold weather.
1 T olive oil
one bunch of kale
1. Choosing the largest leaves, gently tear the leaves from the stems
2. Place leaves in a large bowl and gently massage the leaves with olive oil until leaves are fully coated
3. Now the fun part. Choose a topping that will meet your craving. Simply salty? Sprinkle in sea salt (and maybe a dash of vinegar). Cheese please? Grate some parmesan or other hard cheese. BBQ chips are your downfall? Sprinkle a little taco seasoning. And red pepper flakes are always a favorite with us.
4. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place leaves flat on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges of leaves just start to blacken. Check frequently. Depending on the tenderness of the leaves, they may crisp in as little as 8 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and transfer to a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
What are your favorite Kale Chip Toppings? Let us know below in the comment section.